Friday, 11 October 2013

Evaluating Intercultural Behavior (Post #2)

Singapore is known for its various races, religions and culture. The government has also done very well to keep the harmony and peace among its people for the past 50 years. But even in this country, small tensions caused by intercultural differences are still inevitable, just like the following experience I witnessed before.

On a Saturday night about 3 years ago, I was having dinner with my friends in a Chinese restaurant in Clarke Quay. There were other customers around, including several Singaporeans and some Chinese who were probably working in Singapore. During the dinner, several Chinese customers started to talk so loudly that all other customers in that restaurant can hear them. While other Chinese customers were unaffected, the Singaporean customers were clearly very annoyed by the noise. Some of them stared at the loudly talking Chinese customers a few times but received no reply. Eventually, the Singaporean customers left the restaurant very unhappily even before they could finish their meal.


Now when I looked back, this is a typical example of how different culture clash with each other. In China when people eat in a restaurant, it would not be inappropriate for them to talk or laugh loudly. Instead, the restaurant actually likes to see its customers talking loudly while eating, because the noise in a restaurant shows that the restaurant is popular and having many customers. And that attracts more customers, who may think that the dishes in that restaurant are delicious. So for me, I personally understand why some Chinese customers tend to speak loudly in a restaurant. However, as it says, “When in Rome, do as Romans do.” I think foreigners have the liability to learn about the local culture and habits, in order to refrain themselves from offending other people. And that’s the way to reduce intercultural frictions and foster better communication.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Maolei!

    Oh wow! I didn't know about this! As in, I didn't know how the shopowners would actually appreciate loud diners. :)

    Yes, I absolutely live by the "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" as well. Plus a little bit more too, I feel. I think even locals should start learning about certain traits of foreigners. I think that if the locals knew that it was a norm to dine really expressively and loudly, they could've been a little bit more patient with the noisy Chinese customers.

    It's really sad when people say: "They should be the ones trying to fit in since they're the ones who're visiting our land". It makes the society feel all closed up and hostile. Or at least that's what I feel.

    Thanks for sharing, Maolei!

    Cheers,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna,

      Just to be more clear, as Chi Cheng said below your comment, increasing people are starting to dine in a quieter manner. Especially those dining in a western restaurant or high-class restaurant or something. But in some other restaurant that normal people like me can afford - -, or in hot pot restaurant, you really don't have to keep your voice down.

      I also agree with your part about understanding and acceptance. Singapore will still remain as a cosmopolitan country in about 10, 20 years, given that the local birth rate is historically low - -. So I guess a little more understanding and patience is what we all need to each other!

      Yours,
      Maolei

      Delete
  2. Hey, maolei

    Actually in China there are increasingly more people against loudness in restaurant, because you simply cannot hear anything. When I was back home, I often hated those loud guys in restaurant, because i couldn't hear what others were speaking.

    Anyway not just the restaurant, while watching a drama, performance, in China people will cheer super loud and fiercely to show our support. However this is often considered rude for westerners because they value arts should be appreciated silently. So I guess it is just the culture shock.

    And yes I agree on the last part. The problem with some of the Chinese from China is that they fail to observe the local first before they act. They should know different places have different cultures. And the behaviour of Chinese tourists is a hot topic recently

    Cheers,
    Chi Cheng

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chi Cheng,

      True that increasing people are starting to mind their dining manners, but I'm sure you also agree that what I described in the blog is still common.

      I stopped watching movies in China 3 years ago. During the last movie I watched in China the audience were simply terrible, people were making phone calls, laughing loudly when one of the protagonists fell down from the cliff... I would have really just walked out of the cinema if I had not been with my friends.

      Thanks for the comment!

      Yours,
      Maolei

      Delete
  3. Hey Maolei,

    It was interesting to know that it is the norm for the Chinese to talk loudly in restaurants or cafes in China. I certainly did not know about that previously. You were right that in Singapore, such behaviour is frowned upon. On seeing such situations occurring, Singaporeans view them as being unrefined, impolite, inconsiderate and not as well-taught. It is in Singaporeans' mindset that when we pay for good restaurant service, we like to enjoy the ambience and food quietly rather than having people talking loudly around us which completely spoils the mood and atmosphere. You certainly wouldn't want to pay so much for an environment which you can't relax in due to noise right? Then that would not make much of a difference from simply dining at a coffee shop.

    I like your phrase 'When in Rome, do as the Romans do'. The Chinese could have been more sensitive to the local culture here rather than behaving as they would in their own country which could bring about unnecessary negative judgments upon oneself. Gaining acceptance from the locals in a particular country isn't that easy, it takes time and effort for a foreigner to get used to the environment and the locals would gradually/subsequently see him as one of them.

    Cheers,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel,

      Not in cafe please... If you talk loudly in a Chinese cafe, I wouldn't be sure of the consequences- -. And I'm sure of that because I often meet my friends for chatting in cafes when I enjoy holidays in China. Although people are not exactly murmuring there, but they are not talking too loudly as well.

      I agree with you about taking time and effort to get into local cultures and habits. And that's particularly important for people who want to stay abroad. If they don't used to local environment, their lives can be really terrible. About the voice volume, I had my time and efforts to "get into local culture" (or simply just GROWING UP). Not sure if you have noticed, but I have a natural loud voice even when I'm talking, which I think comes from my parents. Back in 6,7 years ago I spoke to anyone in a loud voice like I was just given a shot of adrenaline - -. Over time I realised that it was rude so I started to keep my voice down and speak softly. Guess it worked and made me seem much less rude.

      Thanks for replying!

      Yours,
      Maolei

      Delete