Friday, 8 November 2013

Reflection on Team-based Research Project Proposal (Post #3)

Over the past two months, two of my teammates and I have paid tremendous efforts into our project about sex education in Singapore. There were times when we were extremely efficient and able to make a huge progress within a short period of time. Of course, there were also times when we were stuck in research or some parts of proposal, and we could not work efficiently. But generally, my teammates and I have shown great caring for each other as well as determination to complete our project. Now that this project is about to come to an end, I would like to talk about one thing that our team has done well and one thing we can improve in the future.

Our team have shown great time management skills throughout the semester. From my observation, many of my friends are very reluctant to do their project. In fact, for a project that would take one semester to finish, most of them would do almost nothing in the first half of the semester, and only start to work on the project when the deadline is about one month away. However, no team can complete the project well in this way. Because at the end of a semester, other courses will also have many submission deadlines around and it is very hard to cope with so many assignments simultaneously. Besides, this way of doing projects makes group members very exhausted. What our team did was to finish researching in a short period of time and start to work on certain parts of our project that could be done early (e.g. letter of transmittal and background information). We also planned a detailed schedule for the second half of the semester and followed them strictly. In this way, we managed to finish about 70% of our final report by Week 10. And we used the rest of the semester to keep revising our proposal and work on the oral presentation. Hence in the future, I will plan early for my team’s schedule and follow them strictly just like this time, when I am involved in other projects.

However, there are also some areas that we can improve ourselves in the future. For instance, we should learn to organise our documents and files in the future. In the first few weeks of the semester, our Dropbox folder did not have any sub-folders. Inside the Dropbox folder, there were various files about different aspects of background information we find on the Internet, early drafts of letters of transmittal and other pictures. It affected our efficiency to work on our project because we had to spend much time trying to find a certain document before we can open it. The situation did not improve until we finally made our minds to create different sub-folders for different kinds of documents. The lesson I learnt from this is to always keep our resources organised, because this would drastically improve our efficiency when working. Besides, it also helps to keep workers in good mood since nobody wants to look for what they want in a mess of documents.


Working on this project with my teammates have made me learn a lot through this semester. What do you think you have learnt during your project progress?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Maolei,

    I'm glad that you have the intention of planning early in future for your other projects, as this shows that you agree with my way of planning. I also learnt alot from you, not only in terms of your working style but also things that happened in China - it was a real eye-opener.

    With respect to what you mentioned about our Dropbox, I totally agree with you! There were times it was so messy because of the numerous files and it was tough to locate a certain document which was quite annoying. Luckily, after organisation, our Dropbox is much easier to access now.

    It has been pleasant working with you during this team-based project - all the meetings and the lame jokes albeit some disagreements along the way. Here's to our upcoming oral presentation - jiayou! (:

    Cheers,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rach,

      It's true that you are quite a strict and very kiasu team leader but that doesn't mean it's wrong! Haha. At least I don't have to rush to finish my project while some of my friends are writing their proposals 24/7 now.

      Great experience to work with you, I did learn a lot. I will try to prevent my procrastination in the future projects. Good luck with your other assignments!

      Yours,
      Maolei

      Delete