Tuesday, 12 November 2013

Final Reflection on Learning (Post #4)

Another semester in NUS is almost over, and we have come to an end in the journey of Professional Communication. Through this module, I completed many types of different tasks, individually or with my teammates. This blog post is a great opportunity for me to reflect on my performance in these tasks. Here, I will pick a few to talk about.

In the beginning of this semester, Li Ying and I were assigned to carry out our peer-teaching session on 7Cs of writing and how to write business letters. This peer-teaching session is special for me because of the time constraint. As we were the first group to conduct peer-teaching session, we only had 8 days for preparation, which included reading through materials, looking for videos, designing activities, making PowerPoint slides and dry runs. With our other modules going on, we still managed to present an effective teaching session. Through this peer-teaching, I learnt to prepare presentations with limited time. The key is to plan for every day’s work and to work with 100% focus. And time constraint should not be an excuse for underperformance.

Later in the semester, each student went through a round of mock interviews. I did not have much time to prepare for that, and my interview did not go well. Through this experience, I learnt the importance of preparation before interviews. If I had prepared for that mock interview, not only would I have answered the interview questions more properly, I would also have had more confidence during the interview, instead of having too much hesitation. Another lesson I learnt from this experience was the importance of a period of solitude before the interview. Being silent and alone for 10 minutes before the interview helps me to concentrate, without making me more nervous. These are the points I need to take care of in the future interviews.


Above are some lessons I learnt from this course. To end this blog post, I would like to thank Madam Fazilah for her teaching, suggestions and experience-sharing, Rachel and Li Ying for their efforts during team-based projects, Anna for her help in the tasks during other groups’ peer-teaching sessions, and everyone else for this wonderful learning journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment